This is a good recipe for anytime you want a quick and easy breakfast, but I think it's especially good on Christmas morning. This is one of those "methods" rather than recipes-once you get the basics down, you can switch it up any way you'd like.
1 loaf French bread, sliced in half lengthwise (this sandwich is best if you buy the bread a couple of days ahead and freeze it, or use day-old French bread)
1 pound breakfast sausage, browned and drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
12 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1 small can chopped green chilies, drained
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterrey Jack or pepper jack)
Hollow out the center of the French bread. Layer the sausage, onion and bell pepper into the bottom of the bread shell. Add the salt, pepper and mustard to the eggs and mix well. Pour the eggs over the sausage mixture and sprinkle with the chopped green chilies. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the chilies and top with the bread top. Wrap the sandwich tightly with foil, place in a 350 degree oven on a cookie sheet, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until eggs are set and cheese is melted. Unwrap the sandwich and let it cool slightly, then cut into slices and serve.
You could substitute a smoked sausage (I like turkey) and cut it up and brown the slices, then sprinkle them over the bread and proceed as above. Ham and Swiss would be yummy, too. You could even crumble cooked bacon in it.
I usually serve this with fresh fruit and coffee. Add a flute of juice and you've got a party!
What are you up to today?
- Life Happened!
- Change of Plans...
- You could Even Say it Glows!
- Two new additions!
- Holiday Tour of Homes!
- Welcome to the Magical Holiday Tour of Magical Hol...
- Tree Trimming update and a little sneak peek!
- Celebrating Christmas
- Getting there...
- Breakfast Sandwich
- Yikes! 22 Days!
- Downtown Christmas parade!
- ▼ December (12)
- Cathy Miller
- I love to cook, decorate, entertain and plan the holidays. I'm wife to one handsome man and mom to three handsome boys, I love God, my family and my country. I'm the one at the small town parade waving the American flag!! Almost all the holidays are celebrated at our house, and we like it that way!!